Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dilli Haat


A mere ticket of Rs. 15 carries you to an arena where excitation knows no bounds. You feel like a free bird who has been given a wide horizon to fly ( A wallet with green notes). All the shopaholics, in deep love with shopping, Delhi's heart, I mean - Dilli Haat awaits you. Located in the hub of south Delhi, Dilli Haat offers a soulful amalgamation of rich art &craft and cultural activities.


Last Sunday my most awaited trip to Dilli Haat got commenced. The very first step in the premises of the haat, brought me face to face with the richness and diversity of Indian handicrafts and artifacts. From trinkets, to glass wares, from bamboo handicrafts to Jaipur's embroidery work-you name all and the Haat has them.


Dilli Haat is spread over an area of six acres and pleases every visitor with its mindboggling ambiance. The six acres of the land is covered with stalls carrying myriad articles at display. Some of the stalls are temporalily built in a tent form while others are brick based forming a permanent base for the artisans to put their work on display. The Haat is maintained by the Tourism Department of Delhi to give a boon to the craftsmanship of the country. The Haat is jam packed with Indian as well as foreign tourists. The place turns beautiful in the evening with the reddish hue of the sunset.


Skilfully laid handicrafts, representing each part of the country is colourfully displayed here in the exotic bazaars. These range from intricate rosewood and sandalwood carvings, embellished camelhide footwear, to sophisticated fabric and drapery. Gems, beads, brassware, metal crafts, silk and woollens....the range is limitless.

Talking of Dilli Haat, I certainly cannot miss talking about the food stalls here. The lip smacking and mouth watering dishes would draw you near, giving you appetite ultimate satisfaction.

Heard of an Indian experience in microcosm.....If not come to Dilli Haat for an experience untold.






7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ya.. I have been a regular visitor of Delhi Haat since my graduation days and probably now most of the people know me by face. This is one joint that I don't miss whenever I hop in Delhi... I don't know why but I have some kind of attachment with Delhi heart..oops Delhi HAAT

and ya I do agree the Delhi Haat is one kinda place from where you can purchase good Indian handicrafts. You have stalls from different states and they sell which one cannot forbid to purchase (especially giRLs!).

Md Mudassir Alam said...

Before reading your blog my favourite shopping centres were big shopping malls, Connaught Place, Jantaph, Sarojini Nagar, Lajpat Nagar, South Extension etc. I am in Delhi for last two years, but I never visited the Dilli Haat. Your blog took me to a shopping place which have a distinct fervour. According to you Dilli haat is hub of traditonal handicrafts and artifacts. Suerly this weekend I will pay a visit to Dilli Haat.

Unknown said...

Ya, i still remember buying beautiful anklets for my sister, which i gave her on her b'day. Dilli Haat indeed is a paradise for many shoppers.

Harshita said...

Dilli Haat is one place where you are guaranteed to get good handicraft items. Also Malls don't seem to have that kind of charm as Dilli Hat. I have not been there for long but now I really plan to go there soon.

Unknown said...

Well agreed Delhi Haat is a grt place to shop but seriously man wen I went there I was drenched with sweat....eeeee it was too hot....I wonder why Tourism Deppt of Delhi is not thinkin on those lines to get it reconstructed and get AC's fitted there....I know the real charm wil b lost somewhere if its converted to a shop or a mall....but then candidly speakin i wud prefer goin to a mall than Delhi Haat as its tooo hot there......

Deepika said...

Sherry u r rite, in summers it is really difficult to shop in Dilli Haat. BUT tel me where else would you get the such a spectacular display of true Indian culture and tradition in the form of myriad articles.

steve said...

Too many fans of Dilli Haat here! It must be a very nice place to shop.